Sunday, July 16, 2006

Cross Country Goals

Coach’s Goals for Cross Country:

Returning runners have shared with me their goals for the summer and fall. Without exception, all want to train well for the duration of the summer and be competitive in races during the season. I have adopted most of these ideas and would like to state my goals for the cross country season so you have an idea of what I would like for us to accomplish this fall. Putting goals in writing encourages commitment and helps make those goals happen. (Just so you know, my personal training goal for the rest of the summer is to run at least 60 miles a week for the next four weeks. My fall racing goal is to run under 17:00 for 5K and beat former Drury runner A.J. Million:

Example

in a race. Bring it on, A.J.)

Fall Team Goals. Lots of things come to mind and, obviously, being competitive at the end of the season and getting to Nationals is important. For now, however, I am going to list five specific attainable goals for early in the season and save the “end of the season” goals for later. I do believe we can achieve each and every one of these goals as we start the season:

1. Everyone shows up to practice fit enough to run a half-marathon.
2. We have some fun times together.
3. Everyone stays healthy!
4. Victory by both the women and men over UMR at the Miner Invitational on 9/9/06.
5. The top five Drury women average 19:15 for 5K and the top five Drury men average 26:45 for 8K at the Missouri Southern Stampede on 9/16/06.

Coach Van Arkel

Anonymous said...
"Coach - what kind of goal is beating Million? Even as a masters runner you should strive to do a little more than that...it is A.J. you are talking about."

MILLION said...
"Coach - Here are my goals: 1) Run 15 miles a week until October 1st. 2) Spike my mileage to about 70. 3) Get injured. 4) Sit on the sidelines eating ice cream knowing it dosen't matter because we both know you wouldn't have beat me anyway.
Hope you're ready for me to drop that 5:15 middle mile to bring me way under 16:30 pace. Keep up if you can!"

No comments: